Subject: Re: Not able to boot from CD
To: chandru <chandrashekhar.mullaparthi@gmail.com>
From: Harry Waddell <waddell@caravan.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/03/2005 13:43:15
On Thu, 3 Nov 2005 16:38:38 +0000
chandru <chandrashekhar.mullaparthi@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> This is the first time I am trying NetBSD and I am not able to boot
> from CD. I downloaded an ISO image and burned a CD with it. I'm trying
> to install NetBSD on a machine which currently has Smoothwall
> installed on it.
>
> I've set the CDROM as the first boot device in the BIOS settings but
> for some reason it is not booting from CD. I've tried both 2.0.2 and
> 2.1 without any luck. Any tips please? I've searched the archives and
> can't find anything to help me.

I assume that you can boot from other cd's. If not then it's a bios problem
more than likely, e.g. you have it set to boot from a usb cd drive, when you are
using ata, or vice a versa.

Aside from that, it "should just work". NetBSD boot cd's are pretty conservative
in how they are made since they just emulate a big floppy. In the last 10 years
I haven't had _any_ problems, so long as the bios is properly configured.

Good Luck!

Harry Waddell