Subject: dmesg-oddities
To: Dennis den Brok <d.den.brok@gmx.net>
From: Malcolm Herbert <mjch@mjch.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/03/2005 11:00:07
On Thu, Nov 03, 2005 at 12:19:06AM +0100, Dennis den Brok wrote:
|ISTR I've seen the same dmesg-oddities on all
|NetBSD-newer-than-1.6-machines I've set up so far; I used to blame my
|stupidity, though. I'm curios what the reason for that is.

as far as I can imagine, the dmesg garbage is just that the kernel message
buffer might not be cleared before use ... that would be odd, but fits
with observations ...

On a machine here I get roughly 1k of null characters before the kernel
banner ... fine on anything other than a serial console ... :)

--
Malcolm Herbert                                This brain intentionally
mjch@mjch.net                                                left blank