Subject: Re: Pentium D Success!
To: Dennis den Brok <d.den.brok@gmx.net>
From: Henry R. Bent <henry.bent@oberlin.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/02/2005 19:01:10
Dennis den Brok wrote:

> Hello,
>
> ISTR I've seen the same dmesg-oddities on all
> NetBSD-newer-than-1.6-machines I've set up so far; I used to blame my
> stupidity, though. I'm curios what the reason for that is.

FWIW I've never seen this exact problem.  I have seen macppc machines
where the beginning of the dmesg was garbage, but there was never
trailing garbage and it certainly never cut off the dmesg.  I have yet
to play with BIOS options - this machine is literally brand-new out of
the box this afternoon.  If I find anything that fixes the problem I'll
report it.

> Apart from
> that: Shouldn't the two cores provide two logical processor each, thanks
> to HT?

Unfortunately no.  For that you have to shell out the big $$ for the
Pentium Extreme Edition, which is a Pentium D with hyperthreading on
each core.  That processor isn't even an option for this machine.  I'm
perfectly happy with what I have though - it's plenty fast for what I
need to do (lots of build jobs).  I had three pkgsrc compiles and a svn
build of gcc going at the same time and they were all very snappy.

-Henry Bent