Subject: Re: maximum partitions per silce in i386 port of NetBSD
To: Artur <apml@owl.energa.pl>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/22/2005 21:22:51
On Sat, Oct 22, 2005 at 09:29:55PM +0200, Artur wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Sorry for a stupid question, but I can't find reliable information for
> it. I would like to know what is the maximum number of partitions
> per slice in i386 port of NetBSD 2.0.2. I found many information across
> the web that the limit is 8. It would mean that the last partition must be h.
> I found that I can make more partition than that. I've created i and j
> partitions. Unfortunetally my system doesn't work stable now and I'm not
> sure if partitions are the problem.

The limit (for i386) was raised to 16 for NetBSD 1.6.
However using 'b' for anything other than swap might cause grief [1]
and 'c' and 'd' are reserved.

Provided you haven't created overlapping partitions by mistake you
shouldn't have any problems.

	David

[1] the kernel is likely to dump over 'b'...

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk