Subject: Re: usb storage device: how to add/recognize
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Michael van Elst <mlelstv@serpens.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/03/2005 21:57:12
plp@actcom.co.il (Peter) writes:

>I have a small problem: I have some usb storage devices which do not get
>recognized as storage devices. Is there a way to tweak the system so
>they are recognized without recompiling ? More to the point, what is the
>mechanism to add usb devices with new/unrecognized ids at runtime
>(assuming the user or some application knows what they are) ?

Most USB devices are recognized by their device class and not
by some id. If the device doesn't report the proper class then it
is likely that a standard driver (like umass) cannot control it.

AFAIK there is no way to change device recognition at runtime. This
would be interesting though, at least for forcing a device to be
handled by ugen, currently ugen is only used when there is no
other driver.

                                Michael van Elst
Internet: mlelstv@serpens.de