Subject: Re: Audio skipping/key repeats - NetBSD 2.x to 3.x
To: Pavel Cahyna <pavel.cahyna@st.mff.cuni.cz>
From: David Brownlee <abs@NetBSD.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/03/2005 21:06:51
On Mon, 3 Oct 2005, Pavel Cahyna wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 03, 2005 at 08:21:39PM +0100, David Brownlee wrote:

>>> Do you have fxp net interfaces?
>>
>> 	I most certainly do (Sounds of rummaging as an alternative network
>> 	interface is located).
>
> So, it could be PR kern/30505 .

 	absolutely - putting a trust old Tulip card (tlp) in and there
 	are no more audio skips. The combination of the fxp workaround
 	and the MII code busyloop is enough to make an fxp based
 	workstation unusable for audio under NetBSD 3 and later.
 	Its also not going to help any serious attempt to stream data.

 	This is painful enough that I would be tempted to try to make
 	kern/30505 a showstopper for 3.x. Of course that would require
 	me to be willing to commit to fixing it. If we could at least
 	limit the workaround to firing on the affected chipsets and
 	make the boot message 'louder'...