Subject: Re: XFree86 Version 4.4.0 and fonts
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@crufty.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/01/2005 21:15:52
On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 23:26:51 -0400, "Perry E. Metzger" writes:
>Are you loading the type1, freetype, speedo and other modules? Those
>might be the issue. Without those modules, the X server won't be able
>to do anything with those fonts.

Thanks, yes I was.

So I ktraced the server while reloading the font path.
It looked like the content of font.dir wasn't to its liking.
Sure enough it was almost empty, and running mkfontdir didn't  change
anything.

But running mkfontscale in the Type1 dir made a big difference to
font.scale which gets copied to font.dir by mkfontdir.

Anyway, after running mkfontscale and then mkfontdir, the server is
now happy with Type1.

I may end up putting a better graphics card in this machine, but at
least it is now useable, and my fileserver doesn't need to run X
anymore.

Thanks
--sjg