Subject: XFree86 Version 4.4.0 and fonts
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@crufty.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/01/2005 16:31:01
I've setup a separate machine to act as an X display.
The video card is an Intel 82815 which isn't very swish,
1280x1024 at 16bit is as good as I can get out of it.

Anyway, current problem is that XFree86 reports:

Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/local/, removing from list!
Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/, removing from list!

This results in normally useful fonts being almost unreadable.

After comparing the content of those dirs with those on a machine
that was working fine I gave up and mounted X11R6 from that machine.
But I still get the same problem (yes I restarted X ;-)

I compared the XF86Config on both machines and commented out the
Speedo entries to match the machine that worked fine, restart X, and
still it doesn't like those two dirs.

Before I resort to ktrace and/or gdb, does anyone have a clue what the
above might actually mean?

Note both machines are x86, both running 2.0 installed from the same
CD.

Thanks
--sjg