Subject: Dell D610 and SpeedStep working - sort of...
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Jamie Browning <jamie.netbsd@gmail.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/27/2005 21:58:57
I'm running 3.0 BETA on a Dell Latitude D610. Having read an earlier
post related to SpeedStep on this particular model, I'd accepted that
it simply didn't work at the current time as I had exactly the same
output from dmesg. Here's the original post:

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-i386/2005/08/18/0000.html

However today, while fiddling with a system monitor, I noticed that
the quoted CPU Mhz from /proc/cpuinfo was at 798 instead of the usual
1596 - odd. So, I check dmesg and...

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
cpu0 at mainbus0: (uniprocessor)
cpu0: Intel Pentium M (Dothan) (686-class), 798.07 MHz, id 0x6d8
cpu0: features afe9fbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR>
cpu0: features afe9fbff<PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,CFLUSH,DS,ACPI,MMX>
cpu0: features afe9fbff<FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,TM,SBF>
cpu0: features2 180<EST,TM2>
cpu0: "Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.60GHz"
cpu0: using thermal monitor 1
cpu0: Enhanced SpeedStep running at 600 MHz (988 mV)
cpu0: Enhanced SpeedStep frequencies available (MHz): 1600 1400 1200
1000 800 600
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Only half believing that this was real, I installed estd from pkgsrc,
and ran it to see if it that worked - sure enough, running it in -o
mode (shows the frequencies as they're set), I can see the CPU
switching depending on load.

I'm assuming that I just happen not to have looked at dmesg when it
has correctly
utilised SpeedStep in the past- either that or it's suddenly just
started working out of nowhere. Everytime I have looked at this
previously, I've seen:

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
cpu0: Enhanced SpeedStep running at 1200 MHz (1308 mV)
cpu0: Enhanced SpeedStep operating point not in table
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

which concurs with the person who posted the same message, from the
same system on the same hardware earlier.

So what's the problem? Shouldn't I be elated?

Well, no: this isn't consistent between reboots - sometimes SpeedStep
works (appearing successfully in dmesg) and sometimes it doesn't (as
shown directly above). I am NOT switching kernels between reboots, in
fact, I'm not changing anything.

Could anyone shed any light on what is going on here? I reiterate,
both dmesgs are from the same kernel, and on most reboots (this is a
laptop after all) SpeedStep doesn't work. But on some it does. I'm
baffled.

- Jamie