Subject: Re: GX520 does not image. (fwd)
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: R. Huvendiek <netbsd@kaervek.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/14/2005 15:37:30
Hubert,

> I'm getting a lot of mails like these WRT g4u 2.1 (which is based on
> NetBSD-current as of some months ago. Can anyone confirm that more recent
> NetBSD works on the Dell GX520?
>
> I like this software (I have the latest version as of 9/13/05) it worked
> well on my Dell GX280s, but I cannot get it to finish booting on the GX520s.
> I recently purchased 100 of these machines and I am having the same issue as
> Pioneerland. It gets up to the line- "wd0 at atabus1 drive 0" and hangs. If

I had similar issues with a HP workstation. I am pretty sure it's the HP
xw4200. But I will look up the correct model tomorrow. Unfortunately I
do not have access to it today.
This workstation has a 32 bit (Pentium 4) CPU and a SATA drive. This drive
was giving me the exact problem the author describes. Not matter if I tried with
2.x or current.

The solution I came up with may not be the correct one (software wise).
You have to tweak the bios settings a bit. Those HPs allow different settings
for SATA->IDE emulations. You just have to find the one netbsd likes.
As it's quite a while when I figured this out, I do not know the exact settings
anymore. But if you want I can look this up tomorrow.

Ralf