Subject: Re: agp in installation kernel not wanted
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Ja'far Railton <ibn.richard@gmail.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/03/2005 00:50:38
--------------040304030402000408000504

Perry E. Metzger wrote:

>> This is an R30 (c. 4 years old?) BTW do you know a good HOWTO for
>>
>> booting from memory key, i.e. setting it up?
>>

> It isn't very hard.
>
> 1) you must put an MBR on the key and it must list the NetBSD
>   partition as the active partition.
> 2) disklabel, newfs, and installboot the thing, and it all should
>   "just work"...

>>> That's pretty easy to set up. You don't even actually need to set up
>>> NFS -- you can just directly netboot an INSTALL kernel from tftp.
>>>

> To do what I just suggested:
>
> 1) You'll need to set up something like this in your dhcpd.conf to get
>   dhcpd to answer with a different boot file during the initial stage
>   and during the stage when the pxe loaded boot loader runs:
>
> host install {
>       hardware ethernet 0:11:43:cd:bb:ca;
>       fixed-address 10.0.0.76;
>
>       # This section allows dhcpd to respond with different answers
>       # for the two tftp requests for the bootloader and kernel.
>
>       if substring (option vendor-class-identifier, 0, 20) =
>       "PXEClient:Arch:00000" {
>
>               # This bootloader sets video console
>               filename "pxeboot_ia32.bin";
>
>       } else {
>               # This is the name of the kernel image to load:
>               filename "tftp:netbsd";
>       }
> }
>
> and you will need a /tftpboot/ directory that looks like:
>
> $ ls -l /tftpboot/
> total 2810
> -rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  2808659 Mar 25 14:59 netbsd
> -r--r--r--  1 root  wheel    41784 Mar 25 14:59 pxeboot_ia32.bin
>
> and you will need a tftp line in your inetd.conf like this:
>
> tftp            dgram   udp     wait    root    /usr/libexec/tftpd
> tftpd -l -s /tftpboot
>
> With this setup, you can simply load an INSTALL kernel over the
> net, which is pretty easy.
>
> Perry

Thanks Perry - excellent.

Meanwhile, I have had some success with the other options. I came home
armed with a USB floppy drive (thanks Perry for the advice), a NetBSD
3.0_BETA iso coutesy of Matthias (BSD-Crew.de) (thanks Steve for
suggesting that), and a network cable.

Well, I went to try the floppy boot first but when I booted it I found
it was a BIOS upgrade disk that I had prepared earlier (but couldn't use
without a floppy drive!) so I went ahead with that. Then I installed
from the 3.0_BETA iso, and it was all good, so I'm not sure if it was
the BIOS upgrade or just the 3.0_BETA that did the trick.

Only problem so far is a miniature display in X... it was the right size
at first but bad resolution so I did a xf86cfg. Resolution improved but
as I said, the whole display is the size of a normal window now. I am
googling this now, but if anyone cares to chime in...

Thanks again to all who helped on this.

- Ja'far

--------------040304030402000408000504
 filename="Re: agp in installation kernel not wanted"