Subject: Re: agp in installation kernel not wanted
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: Ja'far Railton <ibn.richard@gmail.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/02/2005 15:19:20
On 9/2/05, Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com> wrote:

> It probably *will* boot off of USB key if you bought it in the last
> year. Just try. It probably will just work. My thinkpad, which is
> older, "just works".

This is an R30 (c. 4 years old?) BTW do you know a good HOWTO for
booting from memory key, i.e. setting it up?

> You can also just burn a new CD with the image you want.=20

I will try that but I need to connect to pkgsrc to get the cd burning
stuff and I don't have the connection at the moment. (On the road.)

>Also, USB floppy drives cost only $20 or so and are handy to have around.

I should look around for one then.

> > I guess I can try a netboot from my other laptop, once
> > I read through the howtos and get it set up.
>=20
> That's pretty easy to set up. You don't even actually need to set up
> NFS -- you can just directly netboot an INSTALL kernel from tftp.

OK. I should try this.

> I'm typing this on a thinkpad right now.

Thanks for the encouragement. I shall persevere...

--=20
Ja'far ibn Richard Railton