Subject: Re: agp in installation kernel not wanted
To: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
From: Ja'far Railton <ibn.richard@gmail.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/02/2005 02:26:09
David Laight wrote:

>On Thu, Sep 01, 2005 at 10:28:18AM -0400, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
>

>>It is not particularly hard to copy one of the kernels into
>>an FFS on a disk-on-key or what have you, but it isn't just a matter
>>of typing the name at the prompt.
>>

>You can even use msdos (FAT16 and probably FAT32) filesystems, though
>you probably need to recreate the filesystem with space for the
>bootstrap code. see newfs_msdos(8).
>
>	David

Glad you expert guys are enjoying the thread :-) My options (not to
mention my technical know-how), however, are limited:

I can't even try a memory key boot because my BIOS only has a USB floppy
boot option - nothing for USB HDD. I can't try the floppy boot because I
don't have a floppy drive. I plan to try a -current iso if and when I
can get my hands on one but I don't really think that will be a
solution. I guess I can try a netboot from my other laptop, once I read
through the howtos and get it set up.

I'm surprised that I can't get a working installation on this Thinkpad,
which I had thought was *the* laptop choice for NetBSD... My Acer
Travelmate was a breeze in comparison (well, it is a newer model) <cue
Thinkpad-advocacy rant - Steve?>  Anyway, thanks to everyone who has
replied.

- Ja'far