Subject: Re: agp in installation kernel not wanted
To: Jared D. McNeill <jmcneill@invisible.ca>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/01/2005 13:46:27
"Jared D. McNeill" <jmcneill@invisible.ca> writes:
>> Ja'far Railton <ibn.richard@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> I am trying to get a Thinkpad R30 going running 2.0_STABLE from
>>> known-good iso CD. I have a problem on boot when it gets to "agp0 at
>>> pchb0" - it hangs. I googled to find that back in 2002-3 this was a
>>> problem. One solution back then was to boot from floppy because
>>> floppy
>>> kernel doesn't have AGP. Does anyone have any other advice?
>>>

>> Just build a custom kernel without agp and boot it?
>
> Do we have the room on the floppy sets to enable options USERCONF?
> Seems like it would be incredibly useful in cases like this.

If we stop having the CD boot stuff happen from an El Torrito image
and boot the kernel from the ISO 9660 filesystem instead, we have all
the room in the world. Even if you're booting off of floppies then, we
can just switch to three floppies or four or whatever. The only
constraint is old old machines with low memory.

Perry