Subject: Re: agp in installation kernel not wanted
To: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/01/2005 09:27:18
"Steven M. Bellovin" <smb@cs.columbia.edu> writes:
>>Ja'far Railton <ibn.richard@gmail.com> writes:
>>> I am trying to get a Thinkpad R30 going running 2.0_STABLE from
>>> known-good iso CD. I have a problem on boot when it gets to "agp0 at
>>> pchb0" - it hangs. I googled to find that back in 2002-3 this was a
>>> problem. One solution back then was to boot from floppy because floppy
>>> kernel doesn't have AGP. Does anyone have any other advice?
>>
>>Just build a custom kernel without agp and boot it?
>
> Is it possible to boot alternate kernels?

Yes, though you do need a machine to compile the alternate kernel
on. Luckily, you can do that on a very wide variety of operating
systems these days. You do have to learn how to build alternative
install kernels/images, though.

> But I confess I'm slightly puzzled -- looking at the install kernels
> from 2.0, I don't see AGP in any of the configuration files.

I didn't think it was, but assuming it was, building one without it is
straightforward.

--
Perry E. Metzger		perry@piermont.com