Subject: pci latency timers on i386: universally misconfigured?
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: David Young <dyoung@pobox.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/29/2005 19:45:58
While seeking the cause of "ath0: hardware error; resetting" messages
that ruin our ath0 enjoyment, I have noticed that virtually every
i386 BIOS I can find (Tyan K6-750, Dell P4 server, Soekris net4521)
sets values for the PCI Latency Timer that are not the least in
accord with what I expect after reading the "PCI Latency Timer Howto"
<http://www.google.com/search?q=cache:jIBKycx88XUJ:www.reric.net/linux/pci_latency.html+pci+latency+timer&hl=en&lr=&strip=1>.

Is there any use in running a variant of pci_configure_bus(9) on
any/all/most i386s, in order to set sensible latency timers for a change?

Dave