Subject: Re: Intel's 945 Chipset
To: Jeffrey Flowers <orsiros@fastmail.fm>
From: Vit Herman <dragvit@volny.cz>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/13/2005 18:29:12
Jeffrey Flowers wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 10:26:28 +0200, "Quentin Garnier" <cube@cubidou.net>
> said:
>
>>On Fri, Aug 12, 2005 at 04:57:08PM -0400, Jeffrey Flowers wrote:
>>
>>>My work is buying me a Dell Optiplex gx620, which have the Intel 945
>>>chipset. I have been told that I can run whatever OS I want on it, so
>>>long as I can get my SQL work done, so I would like to install NetBSD on
>>>it.
>>>
>>>Has anyone run NetBSD on a computer with the 945 chipset?
>>
>>Support for most of its component is in -current.  IDE/SATA work, the
>>fxp(4) variant I have on the Dell Dimension 9100 works, and thanks to
>>the very good work of Tamura-san and Jared McNeill, even the audio
>>device works.
>

> Thanks for the information; now I just need to identify a wireless NIC
> card
> that will work with NetBSD.

I think that Intel PRO/Wireless 2200 will do - works just fine for me.
The only serious problem I've come across when installing NetBSD on my
Dell Latitude X1 (Intel 915 chipset) was the wide-screen resolution in
X, a patched driver was needed in order to get it working. The driver
can be found at http://www.fairlite.demon.co.uk/intel.html, it's
compiled for X.org but (after minor changes) worked in NetBSD, too. If
you have trouble with it, try mailing the author, he was more than helpful.

Best regards
Vit Herman