Subject: Re: slow wd writes ?
To: Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@tensor.3miasto.net>
From: Peter <plp@actcom.co.il>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/12/2005 12:46:43
On Thu, 11 Aug 2005, Wojciech Puchar wrote:

>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a question wrt. wd device writes. Writing a drive that does ~4MBPS,
>> UDMA-2 is only 320KBPS. It is a regular Seagate HDD connected to an Intel
>
> looks like your drive doesn't go DMA at all. check dmesg please.

The drive is in DMA mode 2 and the dmesg says so much. Also, when a
rare disk error occurs I can see the kernel messages for gearing down
to DMA1 and retry. So I think that it works.

>> motherboard (P2/500MHz cpu). The low speed appears when copying a lot of
>> data from a 52x cdrom. The speed should be at least 1MBPS. As is, the cd
>> light
>
> should be both above 4MB unless your disk is quite old.

It is 'quite old' but it is new enough to have SMART. Is there a SMART
tool under netbsd 1.6.1 ? I could not find one. Although I am pretty
sure that the disk is ok. I probably have a cable issue or something
like that.

Peter