Subject: Re: AHA-2940 UW SCSI adapter problems?
To: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/19/2005 18:40:31
On Tue, 19 Jul 2005, Andy Ruhl wrote:

> > There are technical merits to SCSI.  As for the one that most end users care
> > about -- raw speed of data transfer with non-hotswap disks -- they aren't a
> > whole lot different.  It's when you get into more complex configurations
> > such as large numbers of disks, hotswapping, and high user concurrency that
> > SCSI shows its strengths.
>
> Although you may be as horrified as I am to find out that a rather
> large computer company is marketing a high feature disk device that
> can come with SCSI *or* SATA drives depending on how much you want to
> spend. This is a device aimed squarely at the high end. Kind of ironic
> in the end when you know these things are going to be connected to FC
> which is talking SCSI... The world is a crazy place.

Heh.

That does bring out the good point I forgot that SATA devices are becoming a
bit more reliable than traditional consumer-grade ATA devices, and the
improved electrical isolation does make SATA rather comparable to SCSI in
many respects (such as hotswapping and concurrency).  Though SCSI is still
trying to stay ahead (with upcoming SAS)....

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org> <tv@pobox.com> <todd@vierling.name>