Subject: Re: Network drivers in "INSTALL_TINY"
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: Quentin Garnier <cube@cubidou.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/06/2005 18:28:57
--t4apE7yKrX2dGgJC

On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 11:35:19AM -0400, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
>=20
> "Steven M. Bellovin" <smb@cs.columbia.edu> writes:
> > Looking longer term, I wonder how hard it would be to build an INSTALL=
=20
> > disk generator.  That is, the user fills out a web page, and in return=
=20
> > receives some dynamically generated floppy images.
>=20
> I've proposed that in the past.

I don't think we should need it.
=20
> > There are obvious issues with denial of service, load, etc.  But we're=
=20
> > really tight for space now, and the usual answer, every time this comes=
=20
> > up, is "build your own".  Could we do that for people?
>=20
> We could, but I think it would probably be easier to do an INSTALL
> disk generator script that people run on their own machine. Since we
> can do cross builds from a variety of OSes it should be an acceptable
> solution.

There is a misunderstanding in all those discussions around install
floppies.  The limitation is not the size of the floppy, it is the size
of the kernel.  We want to keep it as minimal as possible, and it
becomes increasingly difficult.

I think it's time we start providing floppies loaded with LKMs of
drivers.  They would be common to all the other floppies, and it would
solve the issue of INSTALL_TINY for quite some time.

We might want to have a miniroot floppy, too, which would avoid having
a ram-disk.

As for the LKMs, it already is possible to have the device drivers as
LKM.  What we currently lack is the issues of dependencies, but if we
can add that knowledge elsewhere.

FWIW, I have some config(1) hacks to handle modules.

--=20

--t4apE7yKrX2dGgJC

--t4apE7yKrX2dGgJC--