Subject: Re: Switching i386/amd64 to native CD-based installation?
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: Peter <plp@actcom.co.il>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/04/2005 11:34:47
On Mon, 4 Jul 2005, Martin Husemann wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 04, 2005 at 01:47:27AM -0400, der Mouse wrote:
>> 32MB is now considered "tiny"?!
>
> Hey, we are talking in the context of i386 GENERIC or INSTALL here. And I do
> have working i386 hardware (not sure about the floppy drive, but oh well)
> which has 32MB RAM because at the time I wanted something realy big (and had
> the money to waste). I still use it sometimes for testing.

FYI I have two i386 machines with 8MB ram running linux. One is a
laptop and one is a normal box. I also have a few small i386 boards with
8MB which I keep for 'embedded' use, perhaps with NetBsd. There are also
lots of embedded platforms emerging that have 4-16MB ram. Some are
*really* small. About the size of a single DIMM ram or smaller. But this
is not relevant to the boot media.

Peter