Subject: Re: Switching i386/amd64 to native CD-based installation?
To: None <junyoung@netbsd.org>
From: Havard Eidnes <he@netbsd.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/28/2005 11:30:45
> I think everybody can be happy with these:
>
> a) The existing floppy based install should be kept. It will be okay =
>    increase the number of floppies to 3 once the native CD based inst=
all
>    in b) is implemented and supported.

Yes.

It's a separate thing what we do with the _SMALL and _TINY kernels and
their corresponding install sets, though I can easily see us giving up
on insisting on keeping _TINY to just one floppy.  Yes, this will
increase the minimum requirement on hardware for our default install
images.

> b) The 2.88MB boot-big image should be gone. Install based on the
>    native CD-ROM file system will be default for the CD-ROM distribut=
ion.

Some people have spoken up and said that they use this image for
booting from memory sticks.  For that use it should not matter if we
keep the image but increase it's maximum size.  We just will no longer
be able to use this image for prep'ing an ISO image bootable using
floppy emulation.

Regards,

- H=E5vard