Subject: Re: "swapinstall" (i386, probably others)
To: SODA Noriyuki <soda@sra.co.jp>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/26/2005 11:16:59
SODA Noriyuki <soda@sra.co.jp> writes:
>> We used to do that,
>
> Hmm, were there days that i386 port had supported it? I don't remember
> there were.

No, on the i386 we did something even uglier, where we booted a highly
stripped down kernel from a floppy (there was a different floppy for
practically every disk controller), which only had enough on the file
system on the floppy to partition the disk and copy the contents over
on to the disk. Then you had to load the system on a bit at a time. It
required multiple reboots and was disgustingly ugly.

> IIRC, other port still supports the installation method via swap
> partition, for example, please look at "miniroot" installation method
> on sun3 port, and it must be easy to support it on i386 too.

Yes, the Sun3 port needs it. No one else does...

> But I agree with perry that it is not worth trying for most people.

Yes.

--
Perry E. Metzger		perry@piermont.com