Subject: Re: lkm changes from 1.6.1 -> 2.? (followup)
To: <>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@cs.uni-bonn.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/21/2005 10:58:20
--uAKRQypu60I7Lcqm

On Mon, Jun 20, 2005 at 08:45:47PM +0300, Peter wrote:
>=20
> I would have to use a logic analyzer on the ISA bus for that. The=20
> modem(s) are in the ISA backplane, there is no serial cable. I played=20
> with the relevant settings (&C1 etc) and there was no change. However,=20
> recompiling expect did help.

Ah... so the expect you were using was from a different OS version?
This might be the reason.

> It all boils down to the fact that there are many *nix serial-related=20
> programs out there which rely on an external program to set tty=20
> parameters. This does not work on netbsd

or dozens of other Unix-like systems I've managed or used in the past...

> because netbsd tty ports insist=20
> to reset when closed and are just slightly different from other serial=20
> ports in some way that I do not understand yet.

> Is the handshaking working in tty ?

It works fine when used as advertized.

> I read somewhere that handshaking was not 100% finished in netbsd. True ?

Wrong.=20

The settings chosen in /etc/ttys are only relevant when getty opens the
port for a login line.=20

If you want to set parameters from a shell (script) for the benefit of a
serial line unaware program, you have to prevent the "last close" to happen.
I've seen something like

sleep 86400 < /dev/tty01 &
stty this that < /dev/tty01
other stuff using /dev/tty01

for this to happen. When setting the desired parameters inside a program,
of course you don't have that problem.

Regards,
	-is

--uAKRQypu60I7Lcqm