Subject: Re: lkm changes from 1.6.1 -> 2.? (followup)
To: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@cs.uni-bonn.de>
From: Peter <plp@actcom.co.il>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/20/2005 20:45:47
On Mon, 20 Jun 2005, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:

>> I don't think it's handshaking. expect never sets stty parameters, and I
>> have crtscts on the command line for the real stty I'm using before (and
>> while) calling the expect script.
>
> Did you _check_ that somehow? (oscilloscope, serial analyzer, etc.)?
> Your descripion points at handshaking problems, then handshaking problems,
> then handshaking problems.
>
> Also not that you might have a cabling problem, and that minicom is fast
> enough to never trigger handshaking, while expect is slow enough that it
> would need it, only that it doesn't work in that case...

I would have to use a logic analyzer on the ISA bus for that. The
modem(s) are in the ISA backplane, there is no serial cable. I played
with the relevant settings (&C1 etc) and there was no change. However,
recompiling expect did help.

It all boils down to the fact that there are many *nix serial-related
programs out there which rely on an external program to set tty
parameters. This does not work on netbsd because netbsd tty ports insist
to reset when closed and are just slightly different from other serial
ports in some way that I do not understand yet. Is the handshaking
working in tty ? I read somewhere that handshaking was not 100% finished
in netbsd. True ?

Peter