Subject: Re: "Argument list too long" reading from MSDOS (Camera) FS?
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Michael van Elst <mlelstv@serpens.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/07/2005 08:34:30
smb@cs.columbia.edu ("Steven M. Bellovin") writes:

>I fell back to xargs, and got a bunch of hits in fs/msdosfs.  I'm not
>sure what they signfiy, but it's a lot more likely than your argument
>list.  In fact, there are a lot of places in the kernel that seem to
>return E2BIG other than the documented kern_exec; I suggest that you
>file a documentation PR.

msdosfs uses E2BIG as an internal error code saying that a logical
block of a file cannot be mapped to an existing physical disk sector.

For some operations, like extending a file, that error is catched
and the proper action is taken (i.e. to allocate new blocks).

For other operations the error could be returned to userland but
I believe this only happens for a corrupted filesystem.

                                Michael van Elst
Internet: mlelstv@serpens.de