Subject: Re: tiny and small boot floppies
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/06/2005 11:32:32
On Oct 26, 10:17am, "Perry E. Metzger" wrote:
}
} It is becoming increasingly difficult maintaining the
} bootfloppy-{small,tiny} and rescue-tiny boot floppy images.
}
} If we stopped supporting them, would this materially inconvenience
} anyone? Has anyone here used any of these images recently?  Hardware
} that needs either of these is now quite old, and it is always possible
} to build a custom boot floppy if needed.

     More to the point, if you have to use these floppies, you probably
won't be able to install NetBSD anyways.  Under 1.6.x, I couldn't run
sysinst on my old 8MB laptop without having it crash.  Even if I could
get it installed, a GENERIC kernel was so big that it consumed all
memory.  I don't completely recall now, but this might have even been
true for 1.5.x.  I seem to recall being stuck running a really old
version of NetBSD until I lucked out and found some memory for it on
eBay.  However, I've since replaced the laptop.  I suspect that if you
want to run a recent version of NetBSD, you're just going to have to
have a decent amount of memory.

}-- End of excerpt from "Perry E. Metzger"