Subject: Re: Problem installing NetBSD 2.0
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Scott Crumpler <scrumpler@methylphreak.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/06/2005 07:47:17
Figured I'd send out the results of this weekend's work ... I still
haven't gotten to the bottom of why this is happening, but here goes
nothing:

Verified 100% that I was installing NetBSD on the primary master (hd0a).
After verifying this, I disconnected that hard drive and left the primary
slave connected.  I then powered the machine on, noting that the drive was
still listed as the primary slave (I had forgotten to configure the jumper
on the drive).

So on a whim, I installed NetBSD on what was at that time the primary
slave.  It still listed it as hd0a, but installed fine.  After I rebooted,
I made sure to check that my BIOS was set to boot HDD-1 instead of HDD-0,
figuring that it would think the slave was 1 and not 0.  This resulted in
the same error that I had received earlier.

I then went back into the BIOS and changed it to boot HDD-0 and this time,
it worked!  NetBSD booted up just fine with this configuration.

Thinking that I may still have some kind of hardware instability I got the
kernel and userland sources from CVS and even rebuilt my kernel for SMP,
booting up under the new kernel just fine.

Can anyone give me any insight as to what may have happened?  Bear in mind
that with the original configuration (both drives connected, booting off
of the primary master) Linux was running just fine.  The power supply in
the machine had died several months ago and I had just only gotten around
to replacing it.  The hardware seems to be stable other than this
behavior.  Also bear in mind that, before I set up NetBSD, I was able to
boot into my old Linux configuration just fine.