Subject: Re: Problem installing NetBSD 2.0
To: Scott Crumpler <scrumpler@methylphreak.com>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/04/2005 09:03:51
On Fri, Jun 03, 2005 at 07:24:11PM -0400, Scott Crumpler wrote:
> I'm trying to do a fresh install of NetBSD 2.0 on a machine I have sitting
> around... I can boot into NetBSD for the installation, all of the packages
> seem to install fine but when I try to actually boot the system up after
> installing I get a "No operating system found" error.
>
> Any ideas, or is it a hardware problem?

Did you decide that you didn't want wd0a at the start of the mbr partition?
Changing that (which is quite hard work!) will make the boot difficult.

You should be able to get the system running by interrupting the 10 second
countdown when booting from the install CD and typing 'boot hd0a:'

Then rerun check the mbr partitions (with fdisk) and the netbsd label
(with disklabel) to see which partition is at the start of the type 169
netbsd partition.
It should start with the contents of /usr/mdec/bootxx_ffsv1
(excpet that the second sector is the netbsd label).

To re-write it use:
    installboot /dev/rwd0a /usr/mdec/bootxx_ffsv1

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk