Subject: Re: 2.0.2 and NAT xmit performance
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Steve Paul <xeglon@earthlink.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/02/2005 11:58:52
 >> 3) Now go to client 192.168.1.20 to send the 200mb file directly to
site
 >> XYZ on the internet with FTP, it stalls on the first 1K for about 5-10
 >> seconds, then continues sending at ~1-2k/s tops.

 >Can you test transfering a big file from the client to the server?
 >This might be a local network problem (duplex mismatch or what have you)
 >Martin

That was step 1 on the original email.  Sending a big, 200mb file from
the client 192.168.1.20 to server/gateway 192.168.1.1 is fast.. Full
network speed, 100base xfer rate.  Step 2 was to ftp that file from the
server to an external ftp site on the internet, which is also fast.
It's just when NAT comes into play it initially stalls for several
seconds, then continues very, very slow.

For a test, I took my old 1.5Z server on the LAN as 192.168.1.70 and
tried ftping a file from LAN -> internet and it doesn't suffer the same
problem, so this is definately a Windows client issue.  We have four(4)
Windows XP PC's on the LAN, all with XP Pro + SP2 and all of them are
doing this.  They all have Yukon/Marvell Gigabit PCI network adapters so
it's definately a Windoze -> BSD issue instigated sometime between 1.6
and 2.0.2 as the 1.5Z server doesn't have this problem if I place it at
.1 and re-enable NAT.

I'm going to keep plugging away and hope if anyone has any recollection
of things either in the SIP driver, NAT or ftp proxy that has changed
that might instigate this behavior.  tcpdump's haven't been too helpful
but I'm still analyzing them.. may attach one if it would be helpful.

Thanks!
Steve