Subject: Re: bootselector questions
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/30/2005 17:58:42
On Sat, May 28, 2005 at 07:37:53PM +0200, Jukka Salmi wrote:

> Another question: why is it not possible to set a logical partition
> as active?

If nothing else because some system BIOS refuse to boot the system unless
one of the 4 mbr partitions is marked 'active'.

> From within Linux, I set the Linux /boot partition as active,
> rebooted into NetBSD, and set the NetBSD partition active. This resulted
> in two active partitions...

Since the 'active' flag is used to indicate which of the 4 mbr parttions
should be booted, it doesn't (IMHO) may any sense to set it on an
extended partition.  Remember that standard boot code does not allow
extended partitions to be booted.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk