Subject: Re: Updating NetBSD and PKGSRC
To: Michael Kukat <michael@unixiron.org>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/21/2005 10:22:14
On Sat, 2005-05-21 at 07:19 +0200, Michael Kukat wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, 20 May 2005, Robert Zagarello wrote:
> > The Guide says I can use cvs update -Pd for PKGSRC
> > while the install manual says to delete pkgsrc
> > altogether and download the entire package source
> > again.
>
> A CVS update only works, if you got your pkgsrc by cvs export. Otherwise, all
> those CVS directories and the files in them are either missing or contain the
> wrong data.

That's not right.  'cvs export' fetches a copy of the source tree but
_removes_ the CVS directories from it, so you cannot later do an update.
OTOH, 'cvs checkout' is what you want, as it keeps the CVS directories
in your working copy.

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
http://www.livejournal.com/users/jmmv/