Subject: Re: TSO on wm(4) (Intel Pro/1000): i82546 vs i8254EI vs others?
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@shagadelic.org>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@dsg.stanford.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/20/2005 18:42:19
In message <5F3798F1-740F-4BC1-A652-060E80C04ECB@shagadelic.org>,
Jason Thorpe writes:

>Intel actually de-supported TSO on the 82544 at one point.  There was
>an errata document on it.  They offered little specifics, simply
>claiming that it did not work to spec, and was thus no longer supported.

``Oh.'''

>Try to find some 82545 single-port cards for your tests.

Ah! Thanks. I saw your note just after my own about the CSA chip.
I guess all Pro/1000 chips 82545 or newer have working TSO?
[Quick price check...]

82540EMs are cheap, but they're only 32-bit. I'll buy a couple of used
82545s from Ebay.  It'll take until mid next week before I receive them;
more numbers once I have.

Thanks again, Jason!