Subject: Re: Screenblank does not work properly
To: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
From: Kailash Sethuraman <hsaliak@gmail.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/06/2005 16:47:09
Hi  all ,

I had brought this issue up earlier a long  time ago,
see:=20

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-userlevel/2004/11/25/0000.html=20

I had also attempted to fix this in userspace via kqueues ( that patch
is still available). The problem here is
that you will not be able to open any of the wskbd or ws*  devices  to
check for activity, due to the way wscons works. The hack I had posted
along with that mail works  partially, observing the ttyE* devices for
activity using kqueues results in inappropriate blanking when you have
sshed over to another system, and work on that. This activity is not
recognised by the ttyE* devices.

The problem with the atime etc not being updated is also in the above threa=
d,=20
see :
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-userlevel/2004/11/25/0002.html=20
Basically,=20
mtime and atime are modified by
VOP_SETATTR().  As  the vfs is not involved  in the
code path that  required for a keystroke to get to the tty, the atime and
mtime for wskbd device is not modified.=20

This is where it ended the last time I looked at the code, IMHO, I
dont think getting the VFS involved is a good idea here. It seemed
perhaps the best way would be to modify wscons to have the screen
blanking in kernel.