Subject: Re: performance problem
To: Peter Kotrcka <peter.kotrcka@gmail.com>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/04/2005 17:46:50
Peter Kotrcka wrote:

> Hello,
> I have a computer with P133, 80 MB RAM, 20 GB Maxtor disk, MB with i430
> chipset and NetBSD 2.0 is very slow on it compared to other bsd or linx
> systems. GCC compiles blacbox for about 6 hours and in FreeBSD it finish
> in about 20 minutes.
> What may be wrong?

Another idea is that it may be compiler version related - in particular
different versions of gcc might use different amounts of memory.  What
does "gcc -v" say on your various operating systems?

Also, while compiling on NetBSD, look at the output of "vmstat 5" or
similar and see if the value in the free memory column is low and if
the pi/po columns (page ins, page outs) are not 0 for much of time,
indicating that you're out of memory.

Simon.
NetBSD Support and Service:         http://www.wasabisystems.com/