Subject: Re: vr0: transmit aborted (again?)
To: None <rmk@rmkhome.com>
From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Johan_Ihr=E9n?= <johani@autonomica.se>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/18/2005 11:00:27
>> vr0: transmit aborted
>> vr0: restarting
>
> I have an i386 box that runs -current. It has the integrated vr0 on the
> motherboard. In had the same messages in /var/log/messages. When I
> tried
> to use the box to supply /usr/src over NFS, the box basically locked
> up.
> I fooled around with NFS parameters on the client, but it didn't fix
> the
> lockups. I ended up sticking in a 3c905 that I had lying around, and
> the
> problems went away.

In the particular case of RhineII/RhineIII, etc, they are often used as
on-board NICs on the VIA ITX boards. On those boxes even lying around
network cards won't solve the problem due to the small form factor of
the box.

I.e. regardless of whether the various VIA Rhine chips are not the best
h/w available or not it is important that they work as well as possible
because in these small, and otherwise attractive boxes, they are the
*only* h/w available.

Yes, I also have a long series of messages like the one above in the
logs, although my boxes haven't locked up.

Regards,

Johan