Subject: Re: KDE 3.4.0 working?
To: Patrick Welche <prlw1@newn.cam.ac.uk>
From: Dave Tyson <Dave.Tyson@liverpool.ac.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/11/2005 22:14:17
On Mon, 11 Apr 2005, Patrick Welche wrote:

>On Mon, Apr 11, 2005 at 01:07:06PM +0000, Davide Zanon wrote:
>> On Monday 11 April 2005 12:52, Dave Tyson wrote:
>> > On Monday 11 April 2005 13:27, Mark Weinem wrote
>> >
>> > I have also found a few problems using kdm with kde3.4 on 2.0.2/i386. I
>> > think the issues are also in kde3.2/3 as well
>> >
>> > If kdm is started up from rc.d on bootup then I have sometimes found that
>> > the keyboard is completely unresponsive although the mouse works OK.  Even
>> > shift+alt+f1 etc doesn't work. This doesn't happen if kdm is started
>> > manually from root after the system has booted up completely.
>> >
>> > Another problem seen regularly with kde invoked from kdm is a flood of X
>> > events which look like a key is being held down (when it isn't).  This can
>> > be triggered by opening up a Konsole window, editting a file and pressing a
>> > cursor key a few times to move down the file. The symptoms are like the
>> > auto key repeat code goes into overdrive and the resulting events
>> > completely overwhelm the system.  This problem does not happen with kde
>> > invoked from startx. Is anyone seeing this sort of issue?
>> >
>> > Cheers,
>> > Dave
>>
>> Could this be related to
>> http://mail-index.netbsd.org/pkgsrc-bugs/2005/03/29/0051.html
>> ? I don't know, but I hope this helps :)
>
>.. and as vt05 is suggested in that message, switch off ttyE4 in /etc/ttys
>? I don't know either, but hope this helps too ;-)
>
>Cheers,
>
>Patrick

Thanks Patrick, adding vt05 to kdmrc seems to fix the problem (I already
had ttyE4 off). kdm works OK and I so far have not managed to trigger a
flood of X events as before. I'll continue testing and if I do get
a problem I'll try and get a ktrace.

Regards,
Dave

Computing Services Dept         Phone/Fax: 0151-794-3731/3759
The University of Liverpool     Email: dtyson@liv.ac.uk
Chadwick Tower, Peach Street    WWW:   http://www.liv.ac.uk/~dtyson
Liverpool L69 7ZF               Open Source O/S: www.netbsd.org