Subject: Re: MIcrosoft Optical Wireless Desktop Elite
To: chuey <looking@sexykula.com>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@NetBSD.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/11/2005 09:11:07
--Hy6Wd/+xmQCqA1QQ

On Sat, Apr 09, 2005 at 07:06:11PM -0700, chuey wrote:
  | I just recently purchased the Microsoft Optical Wireless Desktop
  | Elite and I have since experienced a lot of random system hangs.
  | These hangs seem to only affect NetBSD (I installed Windows 2K for
  | testing and I didn't see any lockups with it) I don't think that it
  | is other hardware components since I do not see the same lockups
  | when I switched back to my old wired keybaord and mouse.
  |
  | Has anyone else experienced similar problems with the Microsoft
  | Optical Wireless Desktop (not so) Elite?

Is that the one with the wireless black "Natural" keyboard and the
associated mouse ("Microsoft Wireless Natural Multimedia Keyboard") ?
If so, I've been using it successfully for over a year on my primary
NetBSD/i386 workstation (a Dell Inspiron 8600).

I _did_ have problems with a couple of different el-cheapo PS/2->USB
convertors when I was trying to use my original Natural keyboard
(PS/2 connector, standard 104 key layout) on the 8600:
the Belkin one would cause random lockups of the computer,
and a no-name brand (based on a different revision of the PS/2->USB
chipset) would "forget" key modifiers (shift/control/alt/...) if
by incorrectly sending a key-up event after a while.

--Hy6Wd/+xmQCqA1QQ

--Hy6Wd/+xmQCqA1QQ--