Subject: Re: Promise R20378 RAID controller supported?
To: None <bouyer@antioche.eu.org, pcw@mesanet.com>
From: List Mail User <track@Plectere.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/10/2005 18:16:45

>On Sun, 10 Apr 2005, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Apr 10, 2005 at 10:02:21AM -0700, Peter C. Wallace wrote:
>>>

>>> I have a ASUS SK8N motherboard based system that I would like to use with
>>> NetBSD 2.0, the install kernels (either i386 or AMD64) dont recognize my
>>> SATA drives...
>>>
>>> Is the Promise R20378 RAID controller supported yet? (I dont need raid,
>>> just SATA support)
>>
>> the 20378 is supported by pdcsata, which has been pulled up a few days ago
>> to the netbsd-2 branch. So either use a 2.0_STABLE or a 3.0_BETA snapshot.
>>
>> --
>> Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
>>     NetBSD: 26 ans d'experience feront toujours la difference
>> --
>>

>OK, thats good news, Will give it a try...
>

>Peter Wallace
>Mesa Electronics

	If it is anything like my ASUS K8VSE Deluxe, there is a BIOS
option to set the Promise to either "RAID" or "IDE" mode.  It doesn't
work when set to "RAID", but works fine with "IDE".  Also, the 2.0.2
install iso for i386 will work just fine, then you can build a kernel
and upgrade to amd64; The amd64 iso or install floppies boot the kernel,
but then the machine reboots immediately.  It is now happily running
3.99.x with raidframe.  Also note, that just like the older Promise
controllers (but documented for this one), ATAPI devices will not work
connected to the Promise's ATA133 port (mine has 2 SATA ports and one
channel of ATA133).

	Paul Shupak