Subject: Re: Making a disk bootable
To: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/09/2005 06:46:22
OK, that helped, but not in the way you might expect!

After comparing the mbr contents with /usr/mdec/mbr and finding only
a small difference (looks like a list of sectors or something), I
decided to reboot once again to get the exact error message.  And I
noticed that the BIOS was booting from HDD-1 (wd1) rather than HDD-0!

I fixed the BIOS setting, did "fdisk -c" and another "installboot"
and presto - it works now!

Thanks for the clue.

On Sat, 9 Apr 2005, David Laight wrote:

> First, I'd check that you have the correct code in sector 0.
> eg run 'hexdump -C -n512 /dev/rwd0d' the output should match that
> of the installed file from /use/mdec/mbr*.
> If it is wrong, 'fdisk -c mbr' should try to update it.
>
> Some of the 'Not a system disk' error messages are actually output
> by code on the disk itself.
>
> If the bios is refusing to believe that the mbr is valid it gets a
> bit harder....

|   Paul Goyette   | PGP DSS Key fingerprint: |  E-mail addresses:   |
| Network Engineer | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 |  paul@whooppee.com   |
|  & World Cruiser | 0786 F758 55DE 53BA 7731 | pgoyette@juniper.net |