Subject: Re: disklabel partition "c" with dual booting
To: Alan Post <apost@recalcitrant.org>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/06/2005 18:53:23
On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 04:49:48AM +0000, Alan Post wrote:
> On a disk with two different NetBSD installations, in two different
> MBR partitions, (in my case i386 and amd64), what should the disklabel
> partition "c" look like?  Does it even matter?  I can't find mention
> in disklabel(5) or disklabel(8) of what disklabel "c" is used for.

Not much, the check for writing the sector containing the disklabel
might use it, and the warning from disklabel(?) about writing outside
the netbsd partition.

Nothing else uses it, you can't access the disk through it from userspace
either.

> Sysinst is setting "c" by default to be sectors from the second
> installation's MBR partition, but that's not the only "NetBSD
> partition" on the disk.

and the kernel will override it with the values for the boot partition.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk