Subject: [2.0] Crashes on medium-high-end P4 systems?
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/31/2005 21:17:52
I have a machine which is quite reliably crashing after being up for a while.
The crashes take a fairly consistent time to manifest.  The motherboard is a
SuperMicro X5DA8, which is a dual-xeon board.  I'm not running in SMP; I can't
even finish building a kernel!

Backtraces always look a little weird, involving memory.

The motherboard has ECC support, and no ECC errors are showing up in its logs;
I am inclined to doubt that this is a memory problem.

I have two CPUs, and I have swapped them, to no avail.  Probably not the CPU.

I just replaced the motherboard.

I have reproduced this on a different SCSI controller with a different drive
and cable.

So... I'm running out of explanations, but it occurred to me that this chipset
might be new enough that 2.0 needs a patch to be stable on it.  The core
chipset is an Intel E7505.  Any suggestions?  I'm probably gonna get some
new memory to swap out "just in case" tomorrow, but I'm running out of likely
options.

-s