Subject: Can't get on board sound chip (AC'97) to work.
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.org>
From: Paul (NCC/CS). <pts@bom.gov.au>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/31/2005 11:55:06
Hi folks,

my sound system doesn't work.

I believe I have a "SoundMAX integrated digital audio"
on the motherboard sound chip called an "AC ' 97".

The netbsd guide says to uncomment pnpbios and a mainboard
audio chip device in the kernel config file for on board chips.
None of the 4 devices shown say soundmax or ac'97. So it says to
uncomment them all. I now have in my kernel config file:

# Plug-and-Play BIOS and attached devices

pnpbios* at mainbus?

# mainboard audio chips
ess*  at pnpbios? index ? # ESS AudioDrive
sb*  at pnpbios? index ? # NeoMagic 256AV in sb mode
wss*  at pnpbios? index ? # NeoMagic 256AV in wss mode
ym*  at pnpbios? index ? # OPL3-SA3

After kernel rebuild still NOTHING.

Even before the rebuild the demesg said the following:

auich0 at pci0 dev 31 function 5: i82801BA (ICH2) AC-97 Audio
auich0: interrupting at irq 10
auich0: ADS96 codec; headphone, Analog Devices Phat Stereo
audio0 at auich0: full duplex, mmap, independent

I notice also:
fxp0: interrupting at irq 10

so there is an irq conflict with the lan device but doesn't the
PCI hardware auto share the IRQ's these days?

I have ALSO set PNP OS to ON AND OFF in the bios but no
difference.

Anyway it just doesn't work.
I've been testing it by :
cat some_file > /dev/audio