Subject: Re: Problems with VIA tech EDEN ESP CPU core.
To: John Clark <jclark@metricsystems.com>
From: Dan LaBell <dan4l-nospam@verizon.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/26/2005 02:10:01
On Mar 25, 2005, at 11:59 AM, John Clark wrote:

> Apparently there have been problems with other VIA CPU's. Has anyone
> found a fix. The 'boot' loader
Well, not a fix, but a work around:
1. Make a 2.0 dos boot floppy.
2. Replace with 1.6's dosboot.  (Dos boot is also affected.)
3. Install.
4. Redo installboot with 1.6's /usr/mdec/biosboot.sym

I used netbsd-INSTALL_TINY.gz , and fit that plus a tgz with 1.6's
usr/mdec/installboot and /usr/mdec/biosboot.sym and the man page.
As I did this with FreeDOS I'm thinking I could upload the bootdisk I
used , as it is FreeDOS it shouldn't be a problem.  But as Freedos is
only about a 10 meg download, it wouldn't be hard to repeat my steps.

> loads and prints out a message about memory and such, but after that
> nix.

Really? Further along than mine.  I have problems right away, only see
bios messages.