Subject: 2.0 MP and piixide lost interrupts
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.org>
From: Matt SF <spore@psibercom.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/23/2005 14:51:29
hi all--

recently obtained a dual-Intel Xeon Dell server (SC 1425) with 2x SATA
drives.  was hoping to run SMP and kernel-based RAID on it.

It boots fine with the Generic 2.0 kernel.  When I try the Generic MP
kernel, it can't make it past this section:

npx0 at isa0 port 0xf0-0xff: using exception 16
isapnp0: no ISA Plug 'n Play devices found
ioapic2: enabling
ioapic1: enabling
ioapic0: enabling
Kernelized RAIDframe activated
atapibus0 at atabus0: 2 targets
piixide0:0:0: lost interrupt
        type: ata tc_bcount: 512 tc_skip: 0
cd0 at atapibus0 drive 0: <TEAC CD-ROM CD-224E, , K.9A> cdrom removable
piixide0:0:0: lost interrupt
        type: ata tc_bcount: 512 tc_skip: 0

...this repeats, and also does the same for piixide1.

looking in the archives I see some similar problems:

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-i386/2004/07/06/0004.html
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-i386/2004/07/06/0005.html
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-i386/2004/07/06/0007.html
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-i386/2004/07/07/0000.html

I've tried these various kernel config suggestions but nothing seems to
change.  In fact I can't just comment-out ACPI_ACTIVATE_DEV as in message
0007 above, since in the 2.0 Generic kernel config, it is already
commented out :)

Has anyone seen this issue and/or come up with a workaround?  or maybe
point me in the direction of how to debug it?  thanks!

-Matt