Subject: Why do I need to add an entry into ld.so.conf?
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org, port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Phil Pereira <phil@bsdnexus.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/23/2005 19:40:02
Hey all,

I'm a little confused by an issue I'm having.

The pkgsrc collection builds fine and I've *never* needed to change anything to have an app complie and work.

Yesterday I downloaded the app wmswallow and tried to build it. All seemed to go well, and the app itself compiled. However - upon trying to run the program I was told that a certain .so file could not be found :(

I used "ldd" to determine that, in fact, a couple of dependencies could not be found.

I added "/usr/X11R6/lib" to ld.so.conf and all worked fine - including the app. "ldd" showed links to the correct dependencies.

My question : If I *never* need to add anything to ld.so.conf to compile an app in pkgsrc, why did I need to add it for a program I compiled myself?  What am I missing? Or what did I get wrong?

Many thanks all

Phil.