Subject: Re: can't raise in kernel pppoe0 with mtu > 1460
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.org, tech-net@NetBSD.org>
From: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/22/2005 18:10:15
In article <423FD04B.1090906@bl.echidna.id.au>,
	Carl Brewer <carl@bl.echidna.id.au> writes:
>> Any ideas as to why I can't use the higher MTU value for the NetBSD in
>> kernel PPPoE?  The reason why this is a problem is that Windows clients
>> (running WinXP or Win98SE) behind a NetBSD NAT firewall are unable to
>> use Windows Update or down load large files from some websites.  In my
>> /etc/ipnat.conf:
>
> Is there some reason why you're blocking the ICMP
> type 3 code 4 packets?  See :

You missunderstood the problem which led to the invention of MSS clamping.
The problem is not that the DSL user's firewall drops ICMP packets. It is
the firewall before the website or FTP server she or he is accessing which
drop the ICMP packets.

	Kind regards

--
Matthias Scheler                                  http://scheler.de/~matthias/