Subject: Re: ISA (?) ethernet problem
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.org>
From: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/09/2005 19:09:14
In article <20050309001607.0c8613d1@water>,
	Micah R Ledbetter <vlack-lists@vlack.com> writes:
> In short, ifconfig -a does not see the device under netbsd (not ne2),

The interface will be called "ne1" if you use the "INSTALL" or "GENERIC"
kernel instead of one of the laptop kernels.

> netbsd dmesg:
> NetBSD 2.0 (INSTALL_LAPTOP) #0: Wed Dec  1 11:10:44 UTC 2004
> 	builds@build:/big/builds/ab/netbsd-2-0-RELEASE/i386/200411300000Z-obj/big/builds/ab/netbsd-2-0-RELEASE/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/INSTALL_LAPTOP

The NetBSD laptop kernels don't support ISA NE2000 cards by default. You
can either use a non laptop kernel or add a line like this ...

ne0	at isa? port 0x300 irq 10

... to the "INSTALL_LAPTOP" and "GENERIC_LAPTOP" kernel configuration.

I would suggest to install your system with the "INSTALL" kernel and later
build a run a customized version of the "GENERIC_LAPTOP" kernel.

	Kind regards

--
Matthias Scheler                                  http://scheler.de/~matthias/