Subject: Re: Two mouses
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/02/2005 01:08:30
>> Some applications have hard-coded assumptions, as indicated
>> previously, about the buttons that correspond to the wheel.
> Yea, there seem to be some really grotty assumptions in most X
> clients that any mouse has at most 3 buttons.

And there are some equally broken assumptions that any mouse has at
least 3 buttons - witness all the broken servers that lie to clients,
claiming the pointer has three buttons when it doesn't, with various
kludges to permit the user to press the nonexistent buttons.

Of course, the true problem in such cases is in the client(s); X has
never promised the pointer has more than one button, and I think has
never actually promised it has any buttons at all.  (Not that I don't
understand why people do it; some of my own clients make exactly that
assumption....)

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign