Subject: Re: Two mouses
To: Yasir Malik <ymalik@cs.stevens-tech.edu>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/01/2005 11:39:49
In message <Pine.NEB.4.60.0503011021560.19661@dab.cs.stevens-tech.edu>, Yasir M
alik writes:
>Hello,
>I bought a Microsoft USB mouse for my laptop.  I ran xf86config to
>configure the mouse with X.  In X the mouse works, but the touchpad also
>works.  How can I disable the touchpad?  Also, the scroll wheel does not
>work, although I can copy and paste with it, and the moving the mouse does
>not turn off the screen saver, although the touchpad does.

Depending on what model laptop you have, there may be a BIOS setting to
disable the touchpad.  I've done just that on my Thinkpad, but of
course Thinkpads have the Trackpoint as an alternative, which may be
why the option exists.

I have no idea why you can't wake up the screensaver with the USB
mouse; on one of my desktops, I have a PS/2 and a USB mouse, and both
work.  What does the mouse section of your XF86Config file look like?
(Also, what version of X are you running?)  It should point to
/dev/wsmouse.

		--Prof. Steven M. Bellovin, http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~smb